Re: tablespaces a priority for 7.5?

От Cott Lang
Тема Re: tablespaces a priority for 7.5?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 09:04, Tom Lane wrote:

> No, it wouldn't.  All you need is to archive WAL beginning from the last
> checkpoint record before you begin to take the baseline backup.  The
> baseline backup would not be consistent in itself --- but replaying WAL
> from the previous checkpoint to any time later than the end of the
> backup would bring it to a consistent state.  Missed updates in the
> backup are essentially damage that would get repaired by replay.

I will experiment with this. I have plenty of databases to wreak havoc
on. :)

> There are a few trivial things that still have to be done before this
> can be a reality (one I can think of is that WAL really needs to have
> entries for file creation/deletion), but it's not that far off in terms
> of the base mechanisms.  Writing the management software is the main
> task.

Being able to write WAL logs to two locations would be handy.  Is it
currently possible to have the logs not be recycled and occasionally
deleted?

Is there any hope for support for all of this in 7.5?   I dread knowing
that at some point, I may be forced kicking and screaming back to Oracle
because of this. :)

thanks!

Сообщение: Re: tablespaces a priority for 7.5?
Сообщение: Re: tablespaces a priority for 7.5?