Re: Enhancement request

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Enhancement request
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> So: show me a use case for this that will still make sense in a
>> mostly-autovacuum world.

> I think you are living in a different world than I am if you think it
> is a mostly-autovacuum world.

Certainly it isn't a mostly-autovacuum world in 8.2 or earlier releases,
but that's irrelevant to whether it makes sense to expend effort on a
feature that would appear (at the earliest) in 8.4.  Autovac in 8.3 is
very significantly ahead of where it was in 8.2 --- to the point that
we've turned it on by default --- and I predict that the pressure of
being on by default will really light the afterburners behind its
development.  I think it's entirely likely that by the time 8.4 is
ready, it will be perfectly fair to characterize manual vacuuming
as a buggy-whip technology, at least for all but the
three-sigmas-above-normal users.  And I'd *much* rather see development
effort going into making that vision come true, than into adding
questionably-useful complexity in the support for manual vacuuming.