Re: working with users

От Oliver Elphick
Тема Re: working with users
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 02:10, Sam Carleton wrote:
> Ok, I am a newbie, but I simply cannot find anything in the
> documentation so I hope you all are kind to me...

Read through the Administrator's Manual - client authentication section.

> I have installed Postgres 7.3.4 (will reinstall once I get OpenSLL
> compiled into it).  I created the postgres user, and the first
> database.  As the postgress user, I am able to run psql and access
> the database that I created.  I have been able to run the create
> user command.
>
> But how do I see what users exist for the database?

SELECT * FROM pg_user;

Users exist for the whole database cluster, not just one database.
However you can use client authentication (see below) to limit access to
particular databases.

>  Because I was
> the user postgres when I created the database, does that mean there
> was a postgres user added during creation?

Yes (unless you specified differently on initdb's command line.)

>   If not, what user am I
> when I run psql as postgres?  If I am postgres, what is the password
> to the database and how do I rest it?

User authentication is controlled by the file $PGDATA/pg_hba.conf

By default, access is allowed without any check or password to anyone
connecting through the Unix socket; users are trusted to tell the truth
about who they are.

You can set a password with ALTER USER but it won't be used until you
change the authentication policy.

> Now I am not a DBA, but I have been around enough databases to know
> that most of them have their own system tables.  Does postgres have
> system tables?  If so, where do I find a list of them and their
> usage?

They are in the documentation.

In psql, the command \dS will list them.
     "If ye love me, keep my commandments."       John 14:15