Re: initdb problem

От Robert Treat
Тема Re: initdb problem
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 09:25, Jaskier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> No it will not work, You have to be owner, or have full access to this
> directory. Also you should, I think this is necessary to run Initdb as a
> Postgres user.

It can't be run as root, but it can be run as any other user. The key is
that whichever user runs initdb will be the "master user" of the
database and must own your $PGDATA directory.

> This is what you have to do:
>
> As root change rights to this /usr/local/pgsql and change the owner (it
> would be better) to Postgres
> Then do exactly the same what you have already tried to do, but as a
> Postgres User
>
> Should Work
>
> Regards
>
> Andrzej Schulz
> Galileo Selidor

it will try but often fail if /usr/local/pgsql is owned by root. usually
you have to create the /data directory and then chown it to whomever you
want to run initdb.

> its my understanding
> initdb will change the
> permissions as needed so this problem should go away....
>
> I am completely new to PostgreSQL and have spent the last couple weeks
> playing with
> installing both it and mySQL to try to link some data to the GIS
> application so I really do
> not know what am I doing and this could be a really stupid mistake,
> please be gentle....
> Many thanks for your assistance.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/interactive/creating-cluster.html

Robert Treat