Re: Replaceing records

От Csaba Nagy
Тема Re: Replaceing records
Дата
Re: Replaceing records
Список pgsql-general
[philosophical post regarding a missing feature of Postgres]

Hi all,

This is exactly the problem I'm facing right now, and I found there's no
good solution to this in postgres.
Basically I have a complex database operation, which spans a transaction
across multiple simple DB operations which can be also executed
atomically. The separate pieces must work also separately.

Now one of the pieces is updating a table with data if the row with the
given key exists, and inserts if not. There is a unique constraint on
the key. I found there's no way to avoid failed inserts because of
unique constraint violations, causing automatic roll-back of the running
transaction.

Now contention on insert has a quite high probability for this operation
in our application.
It's unacceptable to roll back and retry the whole transaction just
because this insert failed, partly because of performance (there's a lot
of stuff done before, and there are lots of threads/clustered machines
doing inserts at the same time, and constantly retrying would painfully
slow down things), partly because it would make our code a lot more
complex than it is already.
Locking is also a bad option, as this is about inserts, so you don't
have anything useful to lock, unless locking the whole table. Finally
I'm using this solution, because performance-wise is about the same as
retrying the transaction (in this particular case at least), but I'm
completely unhappy about this.

This problem would be easily solved if the current transaction would not
be automatically rolled back on the failed insert. Given this, it would
be as easy as trying the insert, and if fails, do the update.

I know that this feature is not an easy one, but I would like to point
out that it's really useful and it's one of the barriers for porting
complex applications to postgres, given that other databases have it
readily available.

Cheers,
Csaba.