Re: Minimal system (was Re: Basic questions before start)

От Ron Johnson
Тема Re: Minimal system (was Re: Basic questions before start)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 14:49, scott.marlowe wrote:
> On 30 Jul 2003, Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 09:25, scott.marlowe wrote:
> > > On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Gogulus wrote:
[snip]
> > How could he do local and remote access in PHP?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean.  Local and remote access of postgresql?
> that's easy.  But do you mean something else?  I'm just talking about
> using ncurses from a command line.
>
> http://us2.php.net/manual/en/ref.ncurses.php

This was all predicated upon my not knowing that there is a stand-
alone PHP...

> If you HAVE to have graphics, you can use gtk too, but that would need
> X11.
>
> http://gtk.php.net/
>
> >  Wouldn't a local
> > Apache server (which takes more RAM) be necessary?
>
> PHP doesn't need apache any more than Python needs Zope.  PHP can run from
> the command line just like perl, python, etc...  We write most of our
> system maintenance and cron job stuff in it.  :-)
>
> But even if you did run apache, a local server uses about 1M per child
> (only need one, two max) and that's more than usual.  On a box JUST
> running apache/php with both stripped down, you're probably looking at
> ~650k or so per child.
>
> > Also regarding PHP, "links" is a great text-mode web browser that
> > handles style sheets and frames.
>
> I'll have to look it up.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net             |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                              |
| "I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian  |
|  because I hate vegetables!"                                    |
|    unknown                                                      |