Re: Can I turn the case sensitive off

От Ron Johnson
Тема Re: Can I turn the case sensitive off
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 2003-07-25 at 07:28, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 04:34:26PM -0700, Terence Chang wrote:
> > All:
> >
> > I don't remember I even seen a document saying PostgreSQL are case
> > sensitive. I just figure out that my column name are case
>
> The docs have it in a footnote:
>
> http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/sql-syntax.html#FTN.AEN1031
>
> PostgreSQL's approach is backwards from the standard.
>
> > sensitive. Is there any way that I can turn it off or force the
> > object name to all upper case?
>
> Yes.  Double-quote them.  Alternatively, _never_ double-quote and
> just refer to everything in all upper case.  Postgres will
> automatically fold them to lower case anyway, but you won't get them
> displayed in all upper case.

Is there any firm discussion about making this more standard?  I'm
sure that as PG becomes more popular, more people will get bitten
by this.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net             |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                              |
| "I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian  |
|  because I hate vegetables!"                                    |
|    unknown                                                      |