embed postgresql installation : tuning size/performance [off-topic]

От Pedro Salazar
Тема embed postgresql installation : tuning size/performance [off-topic]
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Greetings,

I'm working on small linux distribution (about 80Mb) to put it in on a
USB flash device (128Mb probably).

I'm interested to deploy a postgresql database but I would like to
reduce its size to the maximum possible - space is vital.

1) I have one installation in my workstation (7.3.2) with java support
and the size in /usr/local/pgqsl (bin,lib,include) is about 9.2Mb.
The installation of postgresql binaries+lib files are only inside
/usr/local/pgsql directory (--prefix)? So, can I assume I have to add
only this space to my linux distribution? Or there are other files?

2) Can I strip out the debug and symbols information from the libraries
and binaries?

3) Is possible to limit the size of my database in a similar way we do
in oracle datafiles, or should we put it in a separate partition to
avoid the growing of a database files?

4) The read/write access to the USB device is weak point of my platform
(USB1.1 ~1Mb/s and USB2.0 ~4.7Mb/s). I'm thinking in ext2/ext3/reiserfs
to the filesystem. Do you have any advice to the tuning of my database?

thanks,
Pedro Salazar.
--
PS