Re: Version 7 question

От Robert Treat
Тема Re: Version 7 question
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, 2003-07-01 at 08:10, Hilary Forbes wrote:
> I'm just trying to improve performance on version 7 before doing some
tests and hopefully upgrading to 7.3.

> At the moment we have
> B=64  (no  of shared buffers)
> N=32 (no of connections)
> in postmaster.opt which I take it is the equivalent of the new
postgresql.conf file.

>  From all that is being written about later versions I suspect that
>this is far too low.  Would I be fairly safe in making the no of shared
>buffers larger?

yes, I'd say start with about 25% of RAM, then adjust from there. If 25%
takes you over your SHMMAX then start at your SHMMAX.

>Also is there an equivalent of effective_cache_size that I can set for
>version 7?

If by 7 your mean 7.0.x then I don't believe so, been awhile though, I
could be wrong.  IMHO no amount of tuning you can do in 7.0 would be as
effective as an upgrade, after setting your shared buffers up, I'd put
your efforts into upgrading. (Note Beta test for 7.4 starts in 2 weeks)

Robert Treat