postgres 7.3.3 problem - not talking across port

От s
Тема postgres 7.3.3 problem - not talking across port
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I've just built postgres 7.3.3 on SUSE linux and had no unusual
messages or problems with the installation.  I was previously running
7.6.2 without problems.  I've left the pg_hba.conf with the default
trust statement.  I ran initdb and started the postmaster without
error.  I am unable to run createdb.  I restarted my database with
debug level 5, and here's what it sez:

> postmaster -D /mytop/data/database -d 5 -p $PGPORT

DEBUG:  postmaster: PostmasterMain: initial environ dump:
DEBUG:  -----------------------------------------
... my environment is dumped.  Deleted all that doesn't pertain
DEBUG:          PGDATA=/mytop/data/database
DEBUG:          PGHOST=virgo
DEBUG:          PGPORT=5547
DEBUG:  -----------------------------------------
DEBUG:  FindExec: searching PATH ...
DEBUG:  ValidateBinary: can't stat
"/volume29/mytop/data/database/./postgres"
DEBUG:  ValidateBinary: can't stat "/mytop/bin/LINUX/postgres"
DEBUG:  ValidateBinary: can't stat "/mytop/bin/postgres"
DEBUG:  ValidateBinary: can't stat "/mytop/swl/bin/LINUX/postgres"
DEBUG:  FindExec: found "/mytop/swl/LINUX/bin/postgres" using PATH
DEBUG:  invoking IpcMemoryCreate(size=1466368)
DEBUG:  FindExec: searching PATH ...
DEBUG:  ValidateBinary: can't stat
"/volume29/mytop/data/database/./postmaster"
DEBUG:  ValidateBinary: can't stat "/mytop/bin/LINUX/postmaster"
DEBUG:  ValidateBinary: can't stat "/mytop/bin/postmaster"
DEBUG:  ValidateBinary: can't stat "/mytop/swl/bin/LINUX/postmaster"
DEBUG:  FindExec: found "/mytop/swl/LINUX/bin/postmaster" using PATH
LOG:  database system was shut down at 2003-06-24 08:37:56 MST
LOG:  checkpoint record is at 0/801A7C
LOG:  redo record is at 0/801A7C; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
LOG:  next transaction id: 480; next oid: 16976
LOG:  database system is ready
DEBUG:  proc_exit(0)
DEBUG:  shmem_exit(0)
DEBUG:  exit(0)
DEBUG:  reaping dead processes
DEBUG:  reaping dead processes

What are the ValidateBinary messages all about?  I have built and
installed postgres in one area, and the executables are soft linked to
the /mytop/swl/bin/LINUX:

> which postmaster
/mytop/swl/LINUX/bin/postmaster

So apparently the postmaster executable finds itself.  But when I do a
createdb, I get:

> createdb foo
psql: could not connect to server: Connection refused
        Is the server running on host virgo and accepting
        TCP/IP connections on port 5547?
createdb: database creation failed

What is wrong?  Any suggestions or insights would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sarah
s_marie@ekno.com

save up to 70% on calls, get voicemail & send SMS
ekno - more than a phonecard
http://www.ekno.lonelyplanet.com

От: "scott.marlowe"
Сообщение: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Documentation quality WAS: interesting
От: Lincoln Yeoh
Сообщение: Re: A creepy story about dates. How to prevent it?