Re: Still confused about VACUUM vs. VACUUM FULL

От Jeff Boes
Тема Re: Still confused about VACUUM vs. VACUUM FULL
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Thu, 2003-06-12 at 12:42, Tom Lane wrote:
> Jeff Boes <jboes@nexcerpt.com> writes:
> > For large (>1 million rows) tables
> > which have a pretty high turn-over (average life span of a row is 3
> > days), should there be any query performance differences whether you
> > VACUUM FULL or not?
>
> How often do you VACUUM?  Do you have enough FSM space to support the
> number of pages that get dirtied between vacuums?  If you don't, the
> physical table size will bloat over time, leading to progressive
> slowdown.

We've gone from daily, to twice daily, to several times during the "peak
updates" period, and back to twice daily.

We're also ANALYZE-ing the largest 12-18 tables on a cycle: every twenty
minutes, a daemon wakes up and ANALYZEs until they're all done or two
minutes has elapsed, whichever comes first.

max_fsm_relations = 200
max_fsm_pages = 350000

We have around 220 tables total, only 40 of which have more than 1000
pg_class.reltuples.

--
Jeff Boes                                      vox 269.226.9550 ext 24
Database Engineer                                     fax 269.349.9076