Re: interpret vacuum verbose output

От Robert Treat
Тема Re: interpret vacuum verbose output
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Thu, 2003-06-05 at 04:54, Peter Childs wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, Shankar K wrote:
>
> > hi all,
> >
> > I'm trying to evaluate the frequecy to run vacuum
> > analyze on key tables.  so if anyone could help me to
> > interpret the output of vacuum analyze verbose output
> > that would be great. below is the output of one of our
> > major indexes.
> >
> UnUsed:  Number of Records In Table not in use currently. (I think vacuum
> full should remove these)

yes

> Changed: Number of Records Changed (Not sure)

Number of Pages Changed

> Keep:      Number of Records to Keep (Not Sure)

Correct. Usually these are tuples that are currently being accessed
within a transaction.

> If deleted gets too big you should be vacuuming more often

not really, unused is far more significant for that. You might say if
deleted is too small, you might want to vacuum less frequently.

> If unused gets too big try and increase your fsm size.

if it gets too big, it's a sign you're not vacuuming enough.
if it gets way too big, you need to do a vacuum full.

note recommendations on deleted and unused both assume you have
increased your fsm settings appropriately.

also note that in pre-7.4 releases, vacuum cannot remove dead pages
within indexes, so if your indexes grow to large you will need to
REINDEX

Robert Treat