Re: ext3 filesystem / linux 7.3

От Andreas Kostyrka
Тема Re: ext3 filesystem / linux 7.3
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 19:55, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> I don't know how ext3 could be faster than ext2, since it has to do
> more work.
Depending upon certain parameters, it can be faster, because it writes
the data to the journal serially without head movement. The kernel might
be able to write that data in it spot later when the hdd would be idle.

So yes, in certain cases, ext3 might be faster than ext2.

> Actually, I have my doubts about _any_ of the journaling filesystems
> for Linux: ext3 has a reputation for being slow if you journal in the
Well, journaled filesystem usually means only meta-data journaling. ext3
is the only LinuxFS (AFAIK) that offers a fully journaled fs.
> real-safe mode, and there have been so many unrepeatable reiserfs
> problem reports that I'm loathe to use it for real systems.  I had
Well, I've been using ReiserFS now for years, and never had any problems
with it.

Andreas
--
Andreas Kostyrka
Josef-Mayer-Strasse 5

Вложения

От: Andreas Kostyrka
Сообщение: Re: ext3 filesystem / linux 7.3
От: "Jeffrey D. Brower"
Сообщение: Re: ext3 filesystem / linux 7.3