Re: Index not used, performance problem

От Andreas Kostyrka
Тема Re: Index not used, performance problem
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Sat, 2003-03-29 at 14:47, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> As for the LIKE searches, the only ones that PostgreSQL can index are of
> the form 'FOO%', which is what you are doing.  However, I believe that
> PostgreSQL cannot do this if your database encoding is anything other than
> 'C'.  So, if you are using an Austrian encoding, it might not be able to
> use the index.
Well, I use LATIN1. How do I store 8-bit chars else? And if so,
PostgreSQL seems quite strongly broken, because a relational database
relies by design heavily on indexes.

> Also, what is the point of searching for LIKE '%'? Why not just leave that
> out?
Well, it's about generating the SQL query.
Actually it's just a border case for searching for a given prefix.

Andreas

Вложения

От: "John K. Herreshoff"
Сообщение: Re: Index not used, performance problem
От: Jord Tanner
Сообщение: Re: Index not used, performance problem