Re: Index not used, performance problem

От Christopher Kings-Lynne
Тема Re: Index not used, performance problem
Дата
Re: Index not used, performance problem
Список pgsql-performance
Hi Andreas,

A few points:

PostgreSQL is rarely going to use an index for a boolean column.  The
reason is that since almost by definition true will occupy 50% of the rows
and false will occupy 50% (say).  In this case, a sequential scan is
always faster.  You would say that the 'selectivity' isn't good enough.

As for the LIKE searches, the only ones that PostgreSQL can index are of
the form 'FOO%', which is what you are doing.  However, I believe that
PostgreSQL cannot do this if your database encoding is anything other than
'C'.  So, if you are using an Austrian encoding, it might not be able to
use the index.

Some things to try:

If you are always seeking over all four columns, then drop the 4
individual indexes and create one like this:

create index my_key on patient(nachname, vorname, hvvsnummer);

That would be more efficient, in the C locale.

Also, what is the point of searching for LIKE '%'? Why not just leave that
out?

Chris