Re: MS SQL 2K replication/backup

От Robert Treat
Тема Re: MS SQL 2K replication/backup
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Tue, 2003-03-18 at 13:52, Jason M. Kuhlman wrote:
> Hello
> We would like to expose some data live to the internet, but some of our
> departments are deep in MS SQL.  I know it's possible to replicate SQL to
> PostGreSQL. Our data isn't time sensitive so we wouldn't have to have it
> replicate live.  What I would like to do is set up a script to
> replicate/dump the tables once a night, but I'm not having any luck.
>
> With this scenario this PostGreSQL database could then be a "sort of" backup
> also.  Would it be possible, if needed to push these databases back into MS
> SQL?  I have been going through the archives for a couple of days, but most
> posts seem to be about real time replications.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

You need to do some searching on porting from sql server to postgresql,
since this has been tackled before but more likely in that context.
There is also an article on techdocs.postgresql.org regarding pulling
data from m$sql for use in postgresql. IIRC the postgresql insert based
dump in plain text format can be used to push data back into m$sql,
though it would depend on how obtuse your database schema is.

Robert Treat