Re: Session disconnected

От Robert Treat
Тема Re: Session disconnected
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 05:28, Jan.Lindgren wrote:
> Hi,
> I got a question on how postgres handle an interrupted transaction,
> regarding rollback, commit.
>
> We do have a rather unstable connection to our db and sometime a
> transaction/session will be disconnected but the process is still
> visible on the server.
>
> How will postgres handle an update transaction from a client to the
> server that is disconnected?
> -          will the query be rollbacked automatically ??
> -          is it safe to just kill the hanging process on the server?

More or less yes. Without getting too far into the pg internals,
understand that any information written in the database is not marked as
valid until it is given a commit. Eventually vacuum will notice that the
transaction tied to the entry is no longer valid, and will remove the
dead weight.

Robert Treat