Re: Question about backup/restore

От Robert Treat
Тема Re: Question about backup/restore
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Mon, 2003-02-03 at 10:39, Nigel Bishop wrote:
> Could someone please advise:
>
> I'm new to Postgres (13 years Oracle DBA experience) and I'm trying to
> understand the nature of Postgres backup/restores.
>
> An example:
>
> If I take a backup (via pg_dump) at 8pm on Wednesday and then on
> Thursday at 10am I have some form of media failure, how do I roll the DB
> forward from the backup to the point of failure.
>
> Can this be done?

There is no practical way to do this in postgresql right now. What your
looking for is something reffered to as Point In Time Recovery, which
should be available in 7.4.  Since that doesn't help you now, the two
things I can think of to get around this would be to get the PITR patch
and try to apply it to 7.3 and get it to compile, or I think the Peer
Direct Company has software that can do this type of feature. Good luck,

Robert Treat