Re: Database Management Setup

От Oliver Elphick
Тема Re: Database Management Setup
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Mon, 2003-02-03 at 04:55, Aris wendy wrote:
> > You can use symbolic links, if your operating system allows them.
> > 4. Move the relevant directories from $PGDATA/base to the desired
> > locations on the other disks -- their parent directories should have the
> > same ownership and permissions as $PGDATA.
> >
> > 5. In $PGDATA/base, make symbolic links to the moved directories.
> > PostgreSQL should notice no difference in the structure.
> OK thx.....but I still got a problem

Yes! You have embroidered on what I said!

OK; here it is in a real session:

olly@linda$ su
Password:
linda:/home/olly# mkdir /usr3/db /usr3/db1
linda:/home/olly# chown postgres.postgres  /usr3/db /usr3/db1
linda:/home/olly# chmod 0700   /usr3/db /usr3/db1
linda:/home/olly# su - postgres
postgres@linda:~$ pg_ctl stop
waiting for postmaster to shut down......done
postmaster successfully shut down
postgres@linda:~$ export PGDATA=/usr3/db
postgres@linda:~$ initdb
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "postgres".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

Fixing permissions on existing directory /usr3/db... ok
creating directory /usr3/db/base... ok
creating directory /usr3/db/global... ok
creating directory /usr3/db/pg_xlog... ok
creating directory /usr3/db/pg_clog... ok
creating template1 database in /usr3/db/base/1... ok
creating configuration files... ok
initializing pg_shadow... ok
enabling unlimited row size for system tables... ok
initializing pg_depend... ok
creating system views... ok
creating conversions... ok
setting privileges on built-in objects... ok
vacuuming database template1... ok
copying template1 to template0... ok

Success. You can now start the database server using:

    /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/postmaster -D /usr3/db
or
    /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/pg_ctl -D /usr3/db -l logfile start

postgres@linda:~$ pg_ctl start
postmaster successfully started
postgres@linda:~$ psql -l
        List of databases
   Name    |  Owner   | Encoding
-----------+----------+-----------
 template0 | postgres | SQL_ASCII
 template1 | postgres | SQL_ASCII
(2 rows)

postgres@linda:~$ createdb arisdb
CREATE DATABASE
postgres@linda:~$ psql -l
        List of databases
   Name    |  Owner   | Encoding
-----------+----------+-----------
 arisdb    | postgres | SQL_ASCII
 template0 | postgres | SQL_ASCII
 template1 | postgres | SQL_ASCII
(3 rows)

postgres@linda:~$ pg_ctl stop
waiting for postmaster to shut down.....ls. -done
postmaster successfully shut down
postgres@linda:~$ ls -l /usr3/db/base
total 12
drwx------    2 postgres postgres     4096 Feb  3 11:30 1
drwx------    2 postgres postgres     4096 Feb  3 11:30 16975
drwx------    2 postgres postgres     4096 Feb  3 11:30 16976
postgres@linda:~$ mv /usr3/db/base/16976 /usr3/db1
postgres@linda:~$ ln -s /usr3/db1/16976/ /usr3/db/base/16976
postgres@linda:~$ ls -l /usr3/db/base
total 8
drwx------    2 postgres postgres     4096 Feb  3 11:30 1
drwx------    2 postgres postgres     4096 Feb  3 11:30 16975
lrwxrwxrwx    1 postgres postgres       16 Feb  3 11:32 16976 -> /usr3/db1/16976/
postgres@linda:~$ pg_ctl start
postmaster successfully started
postgres@linda:~$ psql arisdb

       \h for help with SQL commands