Re: trouble caused by change in 7.3 handling of '' in

От Robert Treat
Тема Re: trouble caused by change in 7.3 handling of '' in
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, 2002-12-19 at 09:54, Vivek Khera wrote:

> sm> Please be clear here.  The problem is with RT, not Postgresql.  I know
> sm> that doesn't comfort you personally, but it's an important point.  If RT
> sm> wants to be portable, it's the kind of thing they need to fix, as well as
> sm> probably many more things in their SQL code.
>
> Yes, RT is at fault, but just making the change without a transition
> period is harmful.  All I ask is to make it easier to transition
> broken apps.

The problem is that adding all of these special flags for different apps
is unmanageable. Even if the flag was there, don't you suspect when the
time came for 7.4 to be released we'd see another volley of emails
asking for the exception to stick around for "just one more release"?
The bottom line is that at some point your code is going to have to be
modified, a transition period really just gives an excuse for
procrastination. Bruce has offered a patch against 7.3 for those who
cant wait to upgrade; I think that should be a sufficient remedy.

Robert Treat