Re: [HACKERS] Autoconf versions

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Autoconf versions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> Well, you've totally lost me here, on what exactly the problem
> is...especially with you last statement.  If there is a problem with
> various users using 2.13 vs 2.12, how is that fixed by removing configure
> from CVS and relying on ppl having autoconf installed?

Well, it wouldn't do much to help in debugging configure failures,
true.  (But at least we'd be able to ask "what autoconf version have you
got?" and expect a useful answer --- right now, if someone reports a
configure failure and doesn't say exactly when he last updated, we
might have a dickens of a time figuring out whether he had a 2.12 or
2.13 script.  If he does another update, the evidence would be gone.)

Mostly I just want to cut down the overhead of massive diffs in the
configure script and ensure that we know which version of autoconf
will be in the release.

> What sort of problems are you noticing?

I have not observed any problems --- yet.  But considering the length
of time between 2.12 and 2.13, I assume there are some significant
differences in their behavior ;-).  We should make sure we have the
right version in place for our 6.5 release.

> I'm running 2.13 at home and 2.12 on hub, so I interchangeably commit
> depending on the machine I'm on

I've been using autoconf for a long time, and I've never yet seen two
releases that could safely be treated as interchangeable.

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Autoconf versions
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Autoconf versions