Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove old-style VACUUM FULL (which was known for a little while

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove old-style VACUUM FULL (which was known for a little while
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> You still have to perform a backup of the database prior to upgrade and
> that also must scan the whole database, so the overall time to upgrade
> will still vary according to database size. So I don't see any overall
> benefit, just risk, and I cited a similar situation where that risk has
> already materialized into damage for a user in at least one case.

You cited no such case; you merely hypothesized that it could happen.

As for the alleged risks involved, keeping the tqual support for MOVED
bits cannot create any data-loss risks that haven't existed right along
in every previous release.  But depending on MOVED bits to be reliably
gone after a pg_upgrade would introduce a very obvious data loss risk
that wasn't there before, namely that pg_upgrade misses one.