Re: Automatic backup with Linux.

От Oliver Elphick
Тема Re: Automatic backup with Linux.
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Sat, 2002-07-20 at 06:58, pginfo wrote:
> My question:
> 1. Ho to execute this script as user postgres under Linux. I will to use
> crontab, but do not know how to execute pg_dump as another user.

Become user postgres before you run "crontab -e".  On Debian you can
instead use /etc/crontab, which has an extra field to define the user
under whose uid the command will run.

> 2. Is it possible to execute the backup script on working data base. I
> haved problems with data integrity on oracle in this case and needet to
> stop the oracle and then make backup.

Yes it is possible.  pg_dump will not see any transaction that has not
yet been committed at the time you start it, so its output will be
consistent.  If you were using tar on the raw database files, you would
probably need to stop the postmaster first.

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
     "Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed
      upon us, that we should be called the sons of God..."
                                I John 3:1