Re: [INTERFACES] [pgaccess-users] RE:

От Rod Taylor
Тема Re: [INTERFACES] [pgaccess-users] RE:
Дата
Re: [INTERFACES] [pgaccess-users] RE: bugzilla.pgaccess.org  (Bradley Baetz <bbaetz@student.usyd.edu.au>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> > Changing data types probably won't appear. I don't know of anyone
> > working on it -- and it can be quite a complex issue to get a good
> > (resource friendly and transaction safe) version.
>
> I'd be happy with a non-resource friendly and non-transaction-safe version
> over not having the functionality at all... ;)

For me, I'd have to buy / install harddrives if I wanted to change data
types in some of the larger tables.  I've done a number of silly things
like store an Apache hitlog in the DB for pattern analysis.  Lots and
lots of rows ;)
> > That said, if drop column is finished in time would the below be close
> > enough to do a data type change?:

> > alter table <table> drop column <coltemp>;
> >

> That would work - we'd have to manually recreate the indexes, but most of
> the type changes are done in combination with other changes which have us
> doing that anyway.

Okay, if thats all it truly takes, I'll see if I can help get it done.

> > Are there any other requirements aside from drop column and altering
> > data types?

> I think the big issues are bugzilla ones, using mysql specific features
> (enum/timestamp types, REPLACE INTO, etc) Locking is the major one, but

enum(A,B,C) -> column char(1) check (column IN ('A', 'B', 'C'))

timestamp?  Output pattern may be different, but PostgreSQL 7.3 will
accept any timestamp I've thrown at it.  Lots of weird and wonderful
forms.

Anyway, I think there is a way to coerce MySQL into outputting an ISO
style timestamp, which would probably be the best way to move as it'll
make adding other DBs easier in the future.

REPLACE INTO:  Have an ON INSERT TRIGGER on all tables which will update
a row if the primary key already exists -- or catch an INSERT error and
try an update instead.