Re: Dump size bigger than pgdata size?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Dump size bigger than pgdata size?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Jim Nasby <jnasby@pervasive.com> writes:
> On Jun 21, 2006, at 12:00 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> This could be avoided by using COPY BINARY format, but I don't see any
>> very nice way to do that in the context of pg_dump --- it needs to
>> intermix COPY data with SQL commands ...

> Would the tar or custom format allow for this? IIRC, at least tar
> puts all the copied data into separate files...

Well, you could sorta do that, but the case that would stop working is
pg_restore output to a plain text SQL script (and related issues such as
the ability to use the feature in the context of pg_dumpall).  Having
just gotten done fixing similar inconsistencies in pg_dump/pg_restore
for BLOBs, I'm not eager to re-introduce 'em for COPY BINARY ...