pg_dumpall -> database import -> user problem.

От Preston de Guise
Тема pg_dumpall -> database import -> user problem.
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi,

I've got a problem which I can't find any answers for in the archives
(from simple searches at least) or on Google. I'm running Postgres 7.1.3
on RedHat Linux 7.2.

What I need to be able to do is this:

1. Dump a production database;
2. Create a development database;
3. Import the production database for testing and further development.

The procedure that I'm trying is:

pg_dump production > production.dump
dropdb development
createdb development
psql development -f production.dump

The problem that I'm having is that user permissions aren't being ported
across.

Users from the production database can connect to the development
database. However, when they attempt to select from tables (or do
anything else that they have permissions to in the production database)
they are told "permission_denied". It seems that the database
administrator has to go into the development database and re-issue all
the grant (access) commands.

Is this to be expected?

I haven't seen anything as yet in the createdb or pg_dump manuals that
seems to reflect this behaviour - indeed, it seems that it should be
working _unless_ I specify a "--no-acl".

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Apologies if this is answered
in the archives - I did look though and couldn't find anything ;)

Cheers,

-Preston de Guise.

--
'There are no secrets. The networked market knows more than companies do
about their own products. And whether the news is good or bad, they tell

Receipt of this email does not constitute permission to add the
originating address to any email list.