Re: How to perform an identical insert?

От tony
Тема Re: How to perform an identical insert?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 2002-03-22 at 14:07, Axel Selk wrote:

> I have collected data in a Microsoft Access data base and I am trying
> now to transfer this data to a postgres data base running on a Linux
> computer. I generated SQL scripts for the structure as well as for the
> data. I have trouble with the data inserts. I want to insert the MS
> Access IDs into Postgres as all references are made to those IDs.
> But I found only the ID serial format in Postgres, which does not accept
> inserted IDs. Is there any way to insert the IDs from Access and then
> using the serial ID for any further action in Postgres?

In the tables put a column old_id which will hold the access ids.

I also used serial to create new ids for the postgresql base and then
did some fancy sql to get everything to coincide...

I still have the old_id column but when the client signs the "good for
service" I'll get rid of them.

Cheers

Tony

--