Re: performance benefit with views?

От Andrew McMillan
Тема Re: performance benefit with views?
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
On Mon, 2001-11-19 at 15:02, Horst Herb wrote:
> Is there any performance benefit in Postgres by implementing a complex
> nested query as a view?

No.

> If so, is there anything special I should pay atttention to to get the
> maximum benefit?

No.

In fact there can be a performance impact by using views, particularly
nested views (although this might be fixed in the most recent releases).

<speculation>
At some point there is a 'fabled' query tree redesign coming, and this
may manage to hold statistics for views, which might enable the planner
to work more efficiently on views for which such statistics had been
collected.
</speculation>

Regards,
                    Andrew.
Andrew @ Catalyst .Net.NZ Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St, Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/        PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)916-7201    MOB: +64(21)635-694    OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267