Re: Private Information Retrieval (PIR) as a C/C++ Aggregate Extension

От Private Information Retrieval(PIR)
Тема Re: Private Information Retrieval (PIR) as a C/C++ Aggregate Extension
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Yes, that is accurate. You can think of PIR as an aggregator.

The amount of data per query is already limited. In fact, the naive implementation of Information Theoretic PIR
requiresthe transmission of the entire database. MuchPIR implementation makes use of the already optimized
query/responsepresented in [1]. As for protection of the database per copy: anyone who already has access to your
databasecan copy it if they so wish so. PIR's threat model revolves around keeping data query/result private even when
everythingbeyond your private zone is untrusted. Data copy is not a concern.

There is one configuration in which the query can be reduced to about 1 MB in size. Comes at a cost somewhere else
though.There is an optimization that reduces the query size by more than half, but that is not available in the demo.
Thequery result however is  fixed in size, per configuration, up to compression.

Yes, our particular implementation does lend itself to other uses falling under Differential Privacy. In fact, we have
alreadyworked out the technical details for several such use cases: retrieval on keyword match, or ID match, sum
aggregator, and string search. The most remarkable part of string search is that searches can be done with using
wildcardsas well, though the returned data will be how many hits occurred. The size of the string to be searched
remainsvery small, but we are working to improve every aspect of MuchPIR and the technology we are building on top of
it.

MucPIR Team

[1] https://eprint.iacr.org/2017/1142.pdf

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.