Re: PATCH: Using BRIN indexes for sorted output

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: PATCH: Using BRIN indexes for sorted output
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 7/10/23 12:22, Matthias van de Meent wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Jul 2023 at 20:26, Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I finally had time to look at this patch again. There's a bit of bitrot,
>> so here's a rebased version (no other changes).
>
> Thanks!
>
>> On 2/27/23 16:40, Matthias van de Meent wrote:
>>> Some initial comments on 0004:

>>> Like in 0001, this seems to focus on only single columns. Can't we put
>>> the scan and sort infrastructure in brin, and put the weight- and
>>> compare-operators in the opclasses? I.e.
>>> brin_minmax_minorder(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS=brintuple) -> range.min and
>>> brin_minmax_maxorder(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS=brintuple) -> range.max, and a
>>> brin_minmax_compare(order, order) -> int? I'm thinking of something
>>> similar to GIST's distance operators, which would make implementing
>>> ordering by e.g. `pointcolumn <-> (1, 2)::point` implementable in the
>>> brin infrastructure.
>>>

>> However, it's not quite clear to me is what you mean by the weight- and
>> compare-operators? That is, what are
>>
>>  - brin_minmax_minorder(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS=brintuple) -> range.min
>>  - brin_minmax_maxorder(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS=brintuple) -> range.max
>>  - brin_minmax_compare(order, order) -> int
>>
>> supposed to do? Or what does "PG_FUNCTION_ARGS=brintuple" mean?
>
> _minorder/_maxorder is for extracting the minimum/maximum relative
> order of each range, used for ASC/DESC sorting of operator results
> (e.g. to support ORDER BY <->(box_column, '(1,2)'::point) DESC).
> PG_FUNCTION_ARGS is mentioned because of PG calling conventions;
> though I did forget to describe the second operator argument for the
> distance function. We might also want to use only one such "order
> extraction function" with DESC/ASC indicated by an argument.

I'm still not sure I understand what "minimum/maximum relative order"
is. Isn't it the same as returning min/max value that can appear in the
range? Although, that wouldn't work for points/boxes.

>> In principle we just need a procedure that tells us min/max for a given
>> page range - I guess that's what the minorder/maxorder functions do? But
>> why would we need the compare one? We're comparing by the known data
>> type, so we can just delegate the comparison to that, no?
>
> Is there a comparison function for any custom orderable type that we
> can just use? GIST distance ordering uses floats, and I don't quite
> like that from a user perspective, as it makes ordering operations
> imprecise. I'd rather allow (but discourage) any type with its own
> compare function.

I haven't really thought about geometric types, just about minmax and
minmax-multi. It's not clear to me what the benefit for these types be.
I mean, we can probably sort points lexicographically, but is anyone
doing that in queries? It seems useless for order by distance.

>> Also, the existence of these opclass procedures should be enough to
>> identify the opclasses which can support this.
>
> Agreed.

>>> Yes, even if only one prefix column is included in the BRIN index
>>> (e.g. `company` in `ORDER BY company, date`, the tuplesort with table
>>> tuples can add additional sorting without first reading the whole
>>> table, potentially (likely) reducing the total resource usage of the
>>> query. That utilizes the same idea as incremental sorts, but with the
>>> caveat that the input sort order is approximately likely but not at
>>> all guaranteed. So, even if the range sort is on a single index
>>> column, we can still do the table's tuplesort on all ORDER BY
>>> attributes, as long as a prefix of ORDER BY columns are included in
>>> the BRIN index.
>>>

>> That's now quite what I meant, though. When I mentioned sorting by more
>> than one column, I meant using a multi-column BRIN index on those
>> columns. Something like this:
>>
>>    CREATE TABLE t (a int, b int);
>>    INSERT INTO t ...
>>    CREATE INDEX ON t USING brin (a,b);
>>
>>    SELECT * FROM t ORDER BY a, b;
>>
>> Now, what I think you described is using BRIN to sort by "a", and then
>> do incremental sort for "b". What I had in mind is whether it's possible
>> to use BRIN to sort by "b" too.
>>
>> I was suspecting it might be made to work, but now that I think about it
>> again it probably can't - BRIN pretty much sorts the columns separately,
>> it's not like having an ordering by (a,b) - first by "a", then "b".
>
> I imagine it would indeed be limited to an extremely small subset of
> cases, and probably not worth the effort to implement in an initial
> version.

OK, let's stick to order by a single column.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company