Re: Making the DB secure

От Együd Csaba
Тема Re: Making the DB secure
Дата
Re: Making the DB secure
Список pgsql-general
Hi,
thank you very much. These are very good ideas, I think.
I forgot one thing to mention. We will have very few clients (max. 20) and
all clients will be required to have a fix IP address. Fix IP addresses can
be listed in pg_hba.conf to filter incoming IPs very efficiently. With this
note, do you think we need VPN or other enhancement?

Bye,
-- Csaba

-----Original Message-----
From: Karl O. Pinc [mailto:kop@meme.com]
Sent: Saturday, June 18, 2005 12:23 AM
To: Együd Csaba
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Making the DB secure

On 06/17/2005 07:49:07 AM, Együd Csaba wrote:
> Hi,
> we plan to make available our database from the internet (direct
> tcp/ip based connections). We want to make it as secure as possible.
> There are a few users who could access the database, but we want to
> block any other users to access.

Disclamer: Yup, the other responders are right. You don't want to make a
mistake with security.

Rather than put your database on the net you'd be much better served by
using a VPN.  IPSEC and OpenVPN come to mind.  At the very least use a ssh
tunnel.

You want security, use a tool designed to give you security.

Karl <kop@meme.com>
                  -- Robert A. Heinlein

t hub.org
Sender: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org

On 05/26/2005 06:08:00 PM, Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:

> Hi,
>
> AFAICS from the user requests, many people is not aware about the
> compatibility RPM we built:
>
> http://developer.PostgreSQL.org/~devrim/compat-postgresql-libs-3-2PGDG
> .i686.rpm
>
> is the compatibility RPM that fixes the problem which arose with
> PostgreSQL 8.0.2 . With 8.0.2, the major number of libpq was bumped,
> and all software that depends on libpq.so.3 failed/or needed to be
> recompiled.

I would like to compile this for my architecture from source.
Could you please tell me where the source rpm is?
(I can't seem to find a pointer to this rpm anywhere but in this email.  Is
there a web page/ftp site?)

Thanks.

Karl <kop@meme.com>
                  -- Robert A. Heinlein