Re: Can't figure out how to use now() in default for tsrange column (PG 9.2)

От Alban Hertroys
Тема Re: Can't figure out how to use now() in default for tsrange column (PG 9.2)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 16 Jul 2012, at 17:57, Daniele Varrazzo wrote:

>> Yup. The 'infinity' value doesn't play well with all database access APIs
>> and languages, though.
>
> It doesn't even play well with PostgreSQL's extract(). I reported it
> some times ago but as of 9.1.4 it has not been fixed.
>
> =# select extract(epoch from 'infinity'::timestamp);
> date_part
> -----------
>         0
>
> This makes 'infinity' a problematic choice in any application
> requiring a mapping between dates and reals, such as when using
> intervals in gist indexes.

Well yeah, obviously. I don't think many mathematicians have wrapped their brain around questions like what day of the
weekinfinity is and whether it's a working day or not. Perhaps Douglas Adams did, in which case it was probably a
Tuesday.
I'm just saying, most of the date-parts that extract can retrieve from a timestamp are meaningless with infinity. But,
theyare also be meaningless with a placeholder date like 31-12-2999.

That said, if it were up to me to decide what the proper epoch value would be for infinity, I'd say NULL - it is
unknownas computers simply can't count far enough. It's probably only a matter of time until someone thinks of a
solutionfor that though.

Alban Hertroys