Re: tablespaces a priority for 7.5?

От
Тема Re: tablespaces a priority for 7.5?
Дата
Список pgsql-general

In RAID era tablespaces are not such important regarding performance.

But for backup/restore - the ability to backup/restore selected tablespaces
while leaving other tablespaces is a big thing.
The whole point here is: it is assumed that backup/restore of tablespaces can
hapen quite quickly and as simple as to copy tablespace files from one
location to another(even while database is on - WAL can be used to handle
this) - this is compared to dump.

For example, index, tempoarary data tablespaces can be lost - not a big deal.

Undo(rollback) tablespaces - in a way can be lost as well.
While system data tablespace (table structure, stored procedures, etc) - at
no cost should be lost.
The same way application can be devided in "critical" and "not critical"
tablespaces and their backups maintained accordingly. For example, it may not
be a big deal to lose year 1996 tables while year 2004 tables should be
online.

Laimis