Re: Supporting SJIS as a database encoding

От Tsunakawa, Takayuki
Тема Re: Supporting SJIS as a database encoding
Дата
Re: Supporting SJIS as a database encoding  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> From: pgsql-hackers-owner@postgresql.org
> [mailto:pgsql-hackers-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Tatsuo Ishii
> > But what I'm wondering is why PostgreSQL doesn't support SJIS.  Was there
> any technical difficulty?  Is there anything you are worried about if adding
> SJIS?
>
> Yes, there's a technical difficulty with backend code. In many places it
> is assumed that any string is "ASCII compatible", which means no ASCII
> character is used as a part of multi byte string. Here is such a random
> example from src/backend/util/adt/varlena.c:
>
>     /* Else, it's the traditional escaped style */
>     for (bc = 0, tp = inputText; *tp != '\0'; bc++)
>     {
>             tp++;
>
> Sometimes SJIS uses '\' as the second byte of it.

Thanks, I'll try to understand the seriousness of the problem as I don't have good knowledge of character sets.  But
yourexample seems to be telling everything about the difficulty...

Before digging into the problem, could you share your impression on whether PostgreSQL can support SJIS?  Would it be
hopeless? Can't we find any direction to go?  Can I find relevant source code by searching specific words like "ASCII",
"HIGH_BIT","\\" etc?

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa