Re: Stored function | Grayed out option when I try modify the returntype

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Stored function | Grayed out option when I try modify the returntype
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 07/12/2018 02:28 AM, Abelardo León González wrote:

> [...]
willhave 2 different functions.

> Please don't top-posting here, thx.
>

> Regards, Andreas
>
> --
> 2ndQuadrant - The PostgreSQL Support Company.
> www.2ndQuadrant.com
>
> Sorry for top-posting here. :S I won't do it anymore.
>
> The idea is to modify the original function in  order to meet the requirements.
> It's not to create two functions, it's to modify the original one.
> Internally, pgAdmin should invoke to the "alter function" command so that this modification doesn't create another
function.

No such option:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/sql-alterfunction.html

There is CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/sql-createfunction.html

But as pointed out you cannot change the return type that way:

"...  Also, CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION will not let you change the
return type of an existing function. To do that, you must drop and
recreate the function. (When using OUT parameters, that means you cannot
change the types of any OUT parameters except by dropping the function.) "

Remember pgAdmin is just a GUI over Postgres commands. It often helps to
run a command in psql to verify whether it is valid or not.

> If I have created funcA with return type smallint but I would like to modify to integer, pgAdmin shouldn't create
anotherone but let us directly modify the original funcA's return type.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

От: Igor Korot
Сообщение: Re: ODBC - Getting CONN ERROR: errmsg='The buffer was too small forthe InfoValue'
От: Adrian Klaver
Сообщение: Re: ODBC - Getting CONN ERROR: errmsg='The buffer was too small forthe InfoValue'