Re: Fast COPY FROM based on batch insert

От Andrey Lepikhov
Тема Re: Fast COPY FROM based on batch insert
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 7/20/22 13:10, Etsuro Fujita wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2022 at 6:35 PM Andrey Lepikhov
> <a.lepikhov@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
>> On 18/7/2022 13:22, Etsuro Fujita wrote:
>>> I rewrote the decision logic to something much simpler and much less
>>> invasive, which reduces the patch size significantly.  Attached is an
>>> updated patch.  What do you think about that?
>
>> maybe you forgot this code:
>> /*
>>    * If a partition's root parent isn't allowed to use it, neither is the
>>    * partition.
>> */
>> if (rootResultRelInfo->ri_usesMultiInsert)
>>          leaf_part_rri->ri_usesMultiInsert =
>>                                  ExecMultiInsertAllowed(leaf_part_rri);
>
> I think the patch accounts for that.  Consider this bit to determine
> whether to use batching for the partition chosen by
> ExecFindPartition():
Agreed.

Analyzing multi-level heterogeneous partitioned configurations I
realized, that single write into a partition with a trigger will flush
buffers for all other partitions of the parent table even if the parent
haven't any triggers.
It relates to the code:
else if (insertMethod == CIM_MULTI_CONDITIONAL &&
   !CopyMultiInsertInfoIsEmpty(&multiInsertInfo))
{
   /*
    * Flush pending inserts if this partition can't use
    * batching, so rows are visible to triggers etc.
    */
   CopyMultiInsertInfoFlush(&multiInsertInfo, resultRelInfo);
}

Why such cascade flush is really necessary, especially for BEFORE and
INSTEAD OF triggers? AFTER Trigger should see all rows of the table, but
if it isn't exists for parent, I think, we wouldn't obligate to
guarantee order of COPY into two different tables.

--
Regards
Andrey Lepikhov