Re: [GENERAL] Book or other resource on Postgres-local code?

От Guyren Howe
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Book or other resource on Postgres-local code?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> On Dec 29, 2016, at 23:01 , Regina Obe <lr@pcorp.us> wrote:
>

>> As an aside from my last question about my LYDB effort:
>
>> https://medium.com/@gisborne/love-your-database-lydb-23c69f480a1d#.4jngp2rcb
>
>> I would like to find a book or other resource about SQL server-side programming (stored procedures etc) best
practicesin general and for Postgres in particular.

> Shameless plug
>
> Have you checked out our book?  The 2nd edition covered PostgreSQL 9.2 - 9.4.
> http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920052715.do
>
> We are working on the 3rd edition which is a bit fatter (probably will be about 50 pages fatter when we are done)
thanthe 2nd edition.

> http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920052715.do
>
> The 3rd focuses on PostgreSQL 9.5-9.6 (and is in prerelease sale at moment).  By the time of release, we'll probably
havesome PostgreSQL 10 content in there as well.

> It covers fancy SQL constructs and data types (both ANSI ones and ones unique to PostgreSQL), general administration,
andwriting stored functions with SQL, PLPGSQL and PL/V8.

> In the 3rd we are adding an additional PL/V8 example how to build a window function in PL/V8 (aka PL/JavaScript)

I’m sure the book is great. But it looks like much of the material I can find about Postgres: how to write a function,
howto write a query, etc.

What I’m more looking for is “System Design with Postgres”: *when* to write a function, *when* to use a stored
procedureover a client-side function.

От: "Regina Obe"
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] Book or other resource on Postgres-local code?
От: Pavel Stehule
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] Book or other resource on Postgres-local code?