Unhandled exception in PGAdmin when opening 16-million-record table

От Rob Richardson
Тема Unhandled exception in PGAdmin when opening 16-million-record table
Дата
Re: Unhandled exception in PGAdmin when opening 16-million-record table  (Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>)
Re: Unhandled exception in PGAdmin when opening 16-million-record table  (Peter Geoghegan <peter.geoghegan86@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
A customer was reviewing the database that supports the application we have provided.  One of the tables is very simple, but has over 16 million records.  Here is the table's definition:

CREATE TABLE feedback
(
  charge integer,
  elapsed_time integer, -- number of elapsed minutes since data began recording
  tag_type character varying(24), -- Description of tag being recorded
  tag_value real, -- value of tag being recorded
  status smallint, -- PLC Status, recorded with Control PV only
  stack integer, -- Not used
  heating smallint DEFAULT 0, -- 1 for heating, 0 for cooling
  cooling smallint DEFAULT 0 -- not used
)

As you see, there is no primary key.  There is a single index, as follows:

CREATE INDEX feedback_charge_idx
  ON feedback
  USING btree
  (charge);
In PGAdmin, the customer selected this table and clicked the grid on the toolbar, asking for all of the records in the table.  After twenty minutes, a message box appeared saying that an unhandled exception had happened.  There was no explanation of what the exception was.  The database log does not contain any information about it.  The PGAdmin display did show a number of records, leading me to believe that the error happened in PGAdmin rather than anywhere in PostGres.

Can anyone explain what is happening?

The customer is using PostgreSQL 8.4.5 (we just updated them within the last few days) and PGAdmin 1.10.5 on a Windows Server 2003 box.

I see PGAdmin is now up to 1.12.1.  I suppose the first thing I should do is update their PGAdmin.

Thanks for your help!

RobR