PgsqlODBC 8.1 and 8.4 side-by-side installation

От Rob Richardson
Тема PgsqlODBC 8.1 and 8.4 side-by-side installation
Дата
Re: PgsqlODBC 8.1 and 8.4 side-by-side installation  (David Bear <David.Bear@asu.edu>)
Список pgsql-admin
I have a customer who is running PostgreSQL 8.1.  I recently updated an application there, and it is running extremely slowly.  The previous version of the application runs fine, and the new version runs fine on my machine, which runs PostgresQL 8.4.  The problem is that a query for a single record from a 100,000-record database is taking 8 seconds when the ADO recordset is set to use a client-side cursor, while it only takes a few milliseconds for a server-side cursor.  But if I use a server-side cursor, I get the "query-based update cannot find row to update" error.

I wanted to try using the ODBC driver for PostgreSQL 8.4.  But when I installed it, I was surprised and dismayed to see that the old driver no longer appeared in the list of available drivers when I tried to create a new DSN.  At first, I thought that the new driver was working, but any update query gave me a "multiple-step operation raised errors.  See error list" error.

Is it possible to have the 8.1 and 8.4 ODBC drivers available at the same time?  If so, how do I install the 8.4 driver so that the 8.1 driver is still available?

Thanks very much!

RobR