Re: [HACKERS] PATCH: two slab-like memory allocators

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: [HACKERS] PATCH: two slab-like memory allocators
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 02/27/2017 04:07 PM, Andres Freund wrote:

> On February 27, 2017 6:14:20 AM PST, Tomas Vondra
> <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> On 02/27/2017 01:02 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
>>> Hi,

>> wondering
>>>
>>> And pushed slab and its usage.  Will have a look at generation.c
>>> tomorrow.
>>>
>>> - Andres
>>>

>> Gah. I don't want to annoy person who just committed my patch, but
>> can you give more time when asking for feedback? I mean, sending a
>> modified
>>
>> patch on Friday midnight, and committing on Monday noon does not
>> really
>>
>> give much time to look at it.
>
> Hm. The changes IMO weren't controversial (or surprising -most of
> them I had announced previously); I announced that I would when
> posting the review that I'd push the patch later that weekend. If I
> hadn't been tired after doing the review/editing I'd have just pushed
> right then and there.  It's hard to find time and attention, so not
> introducing a week of feedback time is quite worthwhile.  I listed
> the changes I made primarily for posterities sake.  Most if not all
> committers make editorializing changed around commit, so that's not
> just me.
>
> If you specifically want I can try to give you more time to look at
> an edited patch, but that'll mean things move slower.  I won't
> promise not to make minor changed just before commit either way, I
> always do another round of review just before push.

I also agree the changes are not particularly controversial, but then
why to ask for comments at all? I'm OK with a committer making final
tweaks and pushing it without asking, but if you ask for comments, let's
give people time to actually respond.

I agree introducing weeks of delays would be silly, but I'm not asking
for that. I'm perfectly fine with two days for feedback, as long as it's
not a weekend + half of Monday.

regards