Reposted - large object storage

От Matt Clark
Тема Reposted - large object storage
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi again,

It seems I posted in HTML before, sorry about that...

It seems I'm trying to solve the same problem as Richard Emberson had a
while ago (thread here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2002-03/msg01199.php).

Essentially I am storing a large number of large objects in the DB
(potentially tens or hundreds of gigs), and would like the pg_largeobject
table to be stored on a separate FS.  But of course it's not just one file
to symlink and then forget about, it's a number of files that get created.

So, has anyone come up with a way to get the files for a table created in a
particular place?  I know that tablespsaces aren't done yet, but a kludge
will do (or a patch come to that - we're runing redhat's 7.2.3 RPMs, but
could switch if necessary).  I had thought that if the filenames were
predictable it might be possible to precreate a bunch of zero-length files
and symlink them in advance, but that's perhaps _too_ kludgey...

I'm having a rummage around in the code at the moment, and it seems like it
might be possible to get PG to put each table in its own directory.  Anybody
seen that tried before?

Cheers

Matt