>24 hour restore

От Chad Thompson
Тема >24 hour restore
Дата
Re: >24 hour restore
Список pgsql-performance
I have, what appears to be a big problem.

Machine specs
AMD 2100+,
1 GIG SDRam,
3 WD HD's
    1 - 20 Gig -15 Gig system and 5 Gig Swap
        mounted as /
    2 - 80 Gig (8 M Cache) in Redhat software RAID 1 (mirror) using Adaptec
1200 as an IDE Controller
        mounted as /usr/local/pgsql
Redhat 8 w/ latest kernel and all updates.

I have a much slower machine that has been running my database.  We are
trying to upgrade to the above machine to make things a bit faster.

I followed "Tips for upgrading PostgreSQL from 6.5.3 to 7.0.3" by Mark
Stosberg with only a few changes

[postgres@sqlsrv root]# pg_dump -cs mydbtable >sqlschema.sql
[postgres@sqlsrv root]# pg_dump -a mydbtable > sqldump.sql

sqlschema.sql = 900K
sqldump.sql = 2.4G

[sftp files to aforementioned machine]

[postgres@newsqlsrv root]# psql -e mydbtable <sqlschema.sql 2>&1 | tee
schema-full-results.txt; grep ERROR schema-full-results.txt
>schema-err-results.txt

All this works perfectly, quite fast but when I ran....

[postgres@newsqlsrv root]# psql -e <sqldump.sql 2>&1 | tee
inserts-full-results.txt; grep ERROR inserts-full-results.txt
>inserts-err-results.txt

It started off quick, but it got to the first table w/ any real data in it
(only about 30k records) and acted like it was frozen.  I left it running
all night, it finished that table and started on others but it hasnt even
gotten to the big tables (2 @ about 9 million records).  At this pace it
will take several days to finish the restore.

I hope this is something easy/stupid that I have missed.  I know that w/
mirroring my write times are not improved, but they are DEFINATLY not this
bad.

I hope that I havent missed any information.
Thank you in advance for any direction.

Chad