Re: [GENERAL] interesting PHP/MySQL thread

От Christopher Kings-Lynne
Тема Re: [GENERAL] interesting PHP/MySQL thread
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
> 3.2.23 was a LONG time ago. One thing I like about mysql is that they are
> constantly making major improvements.

What?? What "major" improvements?  They haven't had a major improvement for
years!  Their roadmap has had "foreign key support" on it back when I first
started using it 5 years ago!!!

In that same time, PostgreSQL has added:

* write-ahead log
* full subselect support
* almost all sql92 constructs
* schemas
* domains
* constraints
* triggers
* rules
* casts, conversions
* full support for different encodings
* prepared queries
* dependency tracking
* set-returning-functions
* table statistics based query planner
* full transaction support
* unlimited field sizes, all of it can be indexed instead of the first n
bytes!
* thousands of nameless improvements
* information_schema
* hash aggregates
* PLUS we already had all the "new" stuff that MySQL is adding (eg. GIS,
rtree indexes)

And what has MySQL done?  Replication and built-in full text indexing?
UNIONs as well - hooray!  Big deal.

> I have asked this before, where is
> Replication with PostgreSQL? If there was a system that could handle more
> than one master without hacking, I would seriously look into switching to
> PostgreSQL again. Currently mysql can't handle more than one master
cleanly.
> Lack of built in Replication is the main thing that continues to keep us
> from using PostgreSQL. All of the little,  "baby can't learn how to
program
> or write SQL functions"  don't do crap for me, but Replication is a large
> part of our network structure, we can't do without it and we certainly
don't
> want to use a third party product. Patching together tools like what
happens
> with a qmail install is not a system I want to be responsible for. And yet
> like qmail a great deal, and I like what I have seen of PostgreSQL.

Replication is a big feature, and it happens to be one that PostgreSQL
doesn't really have.  If you NEED it, then PostgreSQL might not be for you.
However, the entire .org domain is run of replicated PostgreSQL servers
using eRserver I think.  Why don't you want to use a 3rd party product?

Chris

Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] interesting PHP/MySQL thread
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] interesting PHP/MySQL thread