Re: Debian package for freeradius_postgresql module

От Dave Page
Тема Re: Debian package for freeradius_postgresql module
Дата
Re: Debian package for freeradius_postgresql module  (Alban Hertroys <alban@magproductions.nl>)
Список pgsql-general

-----Original Message-----
From: "Tyler MacDonald"<tyler@yi.org>
Sent: 10/04/06 21:08:29
To: "Chris Travers"<chris@verkiel.metatrontech.com>, "Tom Lane"<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>, "Chris
Travers"<chris@verkiel.metatrontech.com>,"Chris Travers"<chris@travelamericas.com>, "Scott
Marlowe"<smarlowe@g2switchworks.com>,"Douglas McNaught"<doug@mcnaught.org>, "lmyho"<lm_yho@yahoo.com>, "pgsql
general"<pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Debian package for freeradius_postgresql module

>     GnuTLS is LGPL, which isn't quite as liberal as postgresql's
> license, but should still be ubiqutous enough to be worthwhile.

The note on the fsf directory (http://directory.fsf.org/gnutls.html) is a little off-putting:

"The program is currently in development and at an alpha stage."

Not to mention that from what I can see in a brief Google the Windows support is somewhat rudimentary.

Regards, Dave

-----Unmodified Original Message-----
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org> wrote:
> Well, it's a Debian problem that possibly applies to Linux distrubutors
> in general. Here is a good write up:
>
> http://www.gnome.org/~markmc/openssl-and-the-gpl.html
>
> The issue is that while anybody else can take advantage of the
> "components usually part of the OS" clause, Debian as a distributor of
> both, can't.

    Thanks Martijn! I've forwarded that URL to the freeradius people.

> BTW, here[1] states the issue is that one of the developers you'd have
> to convince is Eric Young, who went off to work on a competitor to
> OpenSSL. He's unlikely to make it any easier for people to use OpenSSL.
>
> [1] http://www.winehq.com/hypermail/wine-license/2002/03/0161.html

    Yup. I've tried to get an email out to him... Tim Hudson also works
with RSA and I've sent a comment to his blog and an email to the openssl
list, but I can't find any current email address for Eric himself.

> Not, sure. The postgresql module is part of the freeradius package. You
> could only relicence it if all the writers of code in that module
> (including code copied from other modules) agree. I doubt this would be
> any less difficult.

    I think it will be less difficult, only because the instigators of
the licensing there are available for comment. :-)

    I see this continuining to be a problem for the postgresql community
given how many GPLed projects use libpq. freeradius might be fixable with a
change in their license, but for postgresql to continue to be reasonably
usable by GPLed projects, either OpenSSL's license needs to change, or we
need to support an alternative secure socket api like GnuTLS.

    GnuTLS is LGPL, which isn't quite as liberal as postgresql's
license, but should still be ubiqutous enough to be worthwhile.

    Cheers,
        Tyler

       match

Сообщение: installing and using autodoc