Re: WITH SYSID feature dropped

От Donald Fraser
Тема Re: WITH SYSID feature dropped
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

From: "Jim C. Nasby"
> Can you release any of that code under a BSD license? Some of those
> should arguably be built-in. If nothing else, it would be good reference
> code for others. Though, you can set a 'valid until' limit on roles
> right now, but I suppose that's not exactly the same as what you have.

I was afraid someone might ask that question...
The short answer is no :-(
The long answer is there is too much of our company specific code embedded
within it, which would make for a lot of changes and un-tested code if I
were to sit down and strip all the unnecessary gook out. Additionally there
are implied protocols to adhere to (which means writing additional
documentation), a java automation engine, which in turn uses a modified
postgresql JDBC driver, of which is only at the 7.4 version level. To top it
off the code now doesn't work with version 8.1.x.
As I am a one man band, I have problems keeping on top of everything. I
would on the first instance like to merge some of my JDBC driver
enhancements so that I could then release to the public my automation engine
which would then allow me to release further code... As we are still running
postgresql 7.4 I will have to pull my finger out and get some of these
issues sorted so that we can upgrade to at least 8.0. So may be sometime
next year you'll see some of it in the public domain.... No promises but I
have released other stuff in the past - for example
(http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/citext/projdisplay.php)

Regards
Donald Fraser