Re: Postgresql on multi-core CPU's: is this old news?

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: Postgresql on multi-core CPU's: is this old news?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Apr 7, 2011, at 1:13 AM, Greg Smith wrote:
> On 04/05/2011 02:21 PM, Mischa Sandberg wrote:
>> Came across the following in a paper from Oct 2010. Was wondering is this is old news I missed in this group.
>> http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/papers/linux:osdi10.pdf
>> about Linux optimization on multi-core CPU’s.
>
> Only a little old;
http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/MIT-benchmarks-pgsql-multicore-up-to-48-performance-td3173545.htmlshows most of
theobvious comments to be made about it.  There is more detail explaining why the hand-waving done in the paper about
increasingNUM_LOCK_PARTITIONS is not a simple improvement at
http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/Lock-partitions-td1952557.html

Given that when those tests were done 16 cores was a massive machine, it would probably be a good idea to run them
again.If anyone is interested in doing that let me know; we have a 40 core machine that I could probably arrange access
to.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                   jim@nasby.net