RE: RE: Re: Dissapearing indexes, what's that all about?

От Mike Mascari
Тема RE: RE: Re: Dissapearing indexes, what's that all about?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
If I recall correctly, when the optimizer was changed (greatly enhanced),
there was a debate about what the default behavior should be. The problem
was that a large number of users would populate they're database after
index creation and see sluggishness because the statistics had not yet been
updated vs. the much smaller number of users that would suffer at the hands
of an index scan against a table that would be better served with a
sequential scan. I *think* the result of assuming 0 rows in a newly created
table, until the next vacuum, would yield a significant increase in
mailing-list traffic complaints to the tune of:

"Why isn't PostgreSQL using my index?"

followed by the usual

"Did you run VACUUM ANALYZE?"

So an assumption of 1000 rows was made,  with 10 rows matching your WHERE
clause.

Mike Mascari
mascarm@mascari.com