Re: capitals in fieldnames

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: capitals in fieldnames
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Markus Mohr wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I use postgres 7.0.3 on Linux and have the following problem:
> there is a field with the name 'BGF' and I can access it only with:
>
> SELECT "BGF" FROM <table>;
>
> Neither
>
> SELECT BGF ... nor
> SELECT bgf ...
>
> work. But AFAIK all three should do. Whats wrong here?

PostgreSQL lower-cases everything as it is used unless you put it in
double-quotes. The two examples should work if your field was 'bgf' -
you must have created it with double-quotes or imported it from another
system e.g. MS-Access.

It can be irritating, I agree and does make porting from Access more
difficult but I can't see it changing.

- Richard Huxton