Re: To BLOB Or Not To BLOB

От John Henderson
Тема Re: To BLOB Or Not To BLOB
Дата
Re: To BLOB Or Not To BLOB  (Titus Brown <titus@caltech.edu>)
Re: To BLOB Or Not To BLOB  (Stephen Davies <scldad@sdc.com.au>)
Список pgsql-general
Hi,
It seems that the issue with large objects is "Why do you want the info in a
database?"

It seems to me that the point of a database is its ability to order and
relate data. If you want to retrieve the "large-ish text files" based on
their content then I think you need to have the files in the database so
they can be searched. However, if you are going to retrieve the files based
on something about them that is stored as a separate attribute, such as
their title, then I think that storing the files as large objects is
unnecessary.

If you have the option to "[do] as pointers t those files" then I think you
are not intending to use any of Postgres's features beyond its ability to
store and retrieve data. Surely the file system itself is 'better' at this
regardless of how stable Postgres LO's are.

I would sure like to hear someone else's opinion on this because it seems
that quite a few folks are using large objects and I am often curious about
why.

John Henderson