Re: hardware question

От Steve Wolfe
Тема Re: hardware question
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
> I've got a question concerning hardware. We're planning to replace our
SUNS
> (E3500,E3000,E450 etc) with multiprocessor XEON boards. Is there any
> recommendation or experience about this type of hardware ?

  A lot of it depends on whether you're talking about P3 Xeons or P4
Xeons.  P3 Xeons are not worth the cost, in my not-so-humble opinion.  We
replaced a 4x700 MHz/1MB P3 Xeon machine with a 2x AthlonMP 2000+, and
performance increased substantially, dropping the system loads in *half*.

  If you're talking P4 Xeons, I can't comment on their effectiveness vs.
AthlonMP's - but they sure do come at a price premium.

steve